When you think of Red Wiggler Worms, bait for fishing or composting may be the only things that come to mind. However, did you know that Red Wiggler worms make an excellent food choice for your hungry turtle or amphibian? Species like Red Eared Slider turtles and Marine Toads will go wild over these worms. And unlike worms you might collect in the wild, our captive raised worms are free from chemicals, fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, or parasites.
Caring for your Red Wigglers
Red wigglers, or Eisenia fetida, are one of the most popular types of worms for vermicomposting. They are incredibly efficient at breaking down organic matter, and they reproduce quickly, making them ideal for a vermicompost system.
If you’re thinking of starting a vermicompost system, or if you already have one, it’s essential to know how to care for your red wigglers. Here are some tips:
1. Make sure your worms have plenty of food. Red wigglers are scavengers and eat just about anything organic, from kitchen scraps to leaves and grass clippings. If you’re not sure what to feed your worms, a good rule of thumb is to give them whatever you would put in your compost bin which means no animal scraps of either meat or fish and no dairy products like cheese.
2. Keep your worms cool and moist. Red wigglers are very sensitive to temperature and need to be cool, ideally between 55 and 77 degrees Fahrenheit. If it gets too hot or too cold, they will die. You can keep your worms cool by placing their bin in a shady spot or using a blanket.
3. Give your worms plenty of space. Red wigglers are social creatures and do best when they have plenty of room to move around. A good rule of thumb is to give them about one square foot of space per pound of worms.
4. Don’t over-water your worms. Too much water will drown them, so it’s essential to ensure their bin doesn’t get too wet. The best way to do this is to add bedding material, such as shredded newspaper or coco coir, to help absorb excess moisture.
5. Keep your worms healthy. Like any other creature, red wigglers need to be cared for to stay healthy. You can do this by ensuring they have a well-balanced diet and a clean environment.
By following these simple tips, you can make sure your red wigglers are happy and healthy.
Red Wiggler Nutritional Values
There are no reviews yet.